Have you been playing No Man’s Sky for a while and feel like starting over? Whether you want to try a different playstyle or simply want to experience the game from the beginning again, restarting No Man’s Sky is a straightforward process. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to restart the game and start a new adventure in the vast universe of No Man’s Sky.
Step 1: Backup your existing save file
Before you proceed with restarting No Man’s Sky, it’s essential to backup your existing save file to avoid losing any progress you’ve made. You can find your save file in the game’s installation directory. Look for a folder named “Saves” and make a copy of the folder containing your current save file.
Step 2: Delete the existing save file
After you’ve backed up your save file, locate the folder again and delete the existing save file. This step will ensure that when you restart the game, you begin with a fresh save file and a clean slate.
Step 3: Launch No Man’s Sky and start a new game
Once you’ve completed the previous steps, you’re ready to launch No Man’s Sky and start a new game. The game will create a new save file for you, and you’ll be able to embark on a brand-new adventure in the procedurally generated universe of No Man’s Sky.
Tip: If you want to completely remove any trace of your previous playthrough, you can also consider reinstalling the game. This will ensure that all the game files associated with your previous save file are entirely removed.
Now that you know how to restart No Man’s Sky, why not take the plunge and explore the game from scratch? Whether you’re a seasoned explorer or a new player, starting over can bring a sense of excitement and discovery as you navigate the endless possibilities of No Man’s Sky’s immersive universe.
Understanding No Man’s Sky
Before jumping into restarting No Man’s Sky, it’s essential to have a clear understanding of the game. Developed by Hello Games, No Man’s Sky is an open-world exploration game that combines elements of adventure, survival, and science fiction.
The game is set in a procedurally generated universe, which means that each player’s experience will be unique. No Man’s Sky features billions of planets, each with its own ecosystem, creatures, flora, and resources to discover.
In No Man’s Sky, players take on the role of a planetary explorer, equipped with a multitool, a spacecraft, and a spacesuit. The goal is to explore the universe, gather resources, craft equipment, trade with alien species, and unravel the mysteries of the universe.
Here are some key features of No Man’s Sky:
- Procedurally Generated Universe: The game uses complex algorithms to create a vast, diverse, and virtually infinite universe for players to explore.
- Exploration: The main focus of the game is exploration. Players can travel between planets, star systems, and galaxies using their spacecraft.
- Resource Gathering and Crafting: To survive and thrive, players must gather resources from planets and use them to craft new equipment, upgrade their spaceship, and improve their survival capabilities.
- Alien Encounters: No Man’s Sky is populated by various alien races, each with its own language, culture, and trading systems. Interacting with aliens is an important aspect of the game.
- Base Building: Players can establish their own bases on planets, where they can store resources, build structures, and set up farming operations.
- Multiplayer: No Man’s Sky offers both single-player and multiplayer modes. Players can join forces with friends or encounter other explorers in the vast universe.
No Man’s Sky is a game that encourages exploration, creativity, and self-discovery. By understanding the core features and mechanics of the game, players can make the most out of their gaming experience.
Reasons to Restart
- Exploring Different Gameplay Options: Restarting No Man’s Sky gives you the opportunity to try out different gameplay options. You can choose a different game mode, such as Survival or Permadeath, or even explore the game in VR if you have the equipment.
- Experiencing the Game with Updates: No Man’s Sky has undergone several major updates since its initial release. By restarting the game, you can experience all the new features, improvements, and content updates that have been added over time.
- Starting from Scratch: Restarting allows you to begin the game with a fresh start. You can explore and discover new planets, resources, and creatures without any previous progress or limitations. It’s a chance to create a whole new journey.
- Improving Your Strategies: Restarting can give you a chance to refine your strategies and approach to the game. You can learn from your previous gameplay experience and try out new approaches to resource management, crafting, and survival.
- Joining the Community: Restarting No Man’s Sky can be a great way to jump back into the game’s community. You can connect with other players, share your experiences, and discover new tips and tricks.
- Challenging Yourself: If you found that the game became too easy or repetitive, restarting can offer a fresh challenge. You can set personal goals or limitations, such as playing without using certain upgrades or playing on higher difficulty settings.
- Reliving the Beginning: The initial hours of No Man’s Sky can be particularly memorable, as you experience the vastness and wonder of the game for the first time. By restarting, you can relive those moments and rekindle the sense of exploration and discovery.
Backing Up Your Save File
Before you restart your No Man’s Sky game, it’s highly recommended to back up your save file to prevent any loss of progress. Here’s how you can do it:
- Locate your save file: Depending on your platform, the save file location may vary. On PC, you can find it in the following directory: “C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\HelloGames\NMS“. On PlayStation, go to the Settings menu and select “Application Saved Data Management”. On Xbox, navigate to “My Games & Apps” and select No Man’s Sky.
- Copy your save file: Once you have found the save file, make a copy of it and store it in a safe location, such as an external hard drive or cloud storage. This ensures that you can restore your progress if anything goes wrong during the restart process.
- Verify the backup: After making the copy of your save file, double-check that it has been successfully copied and stored in the backup location. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so always double-check.
By backing up your save file, you can have peace of mind knowing that your progress is safe and can be restored if needed. It’s a simple step that can save you a lot of frustration in the long run.
Uninstalling No Man’s Sky
If you’re looking to uninstall No Man’s Sky from your computer, follow the steps below:
- Open the Steam client: Launch the Steam client on your computer.
- Navigate to your library: Click on the “Library” tab at the top of the Steam client interface.
- Find No Man’s Sky: Scroll through your list of games until you find No Man’s Sky.
- Right-click on No Man’s Sky: Once you’ve found No Man’s Sky, right-click on the game’s name to open a drop-down menu.
- Select “Uninstall”: From the drop-down menu, click on “Manage” and then select “Uninstall” from the options provided.
- Confirm the uninstallation: A dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the uninstallation. Click “Delete” to proceed.
- Wait for the uninstallation process: Steam will then proceed to uninstall No Man’s Sky from your computer. This may take a few minutes, depending on the size of the game.
This process will completely remove No Man’s Sky from your computer. However, please note that uninstalling the game will also remove any saved game progress and settings associated with it.
Reinstalling No Man’s Sky
If you are experiencing issues with No Man’s Sky and have exhausted all other troubleshooting options, reinstalling the game may be necessary. Reinstalling No Man’s Sky will remove any corrupted or missing game files and allow you to start fresh.
Please note: Reinstalling the game will also delete any saved progress or game settings, so be sure to back up any important files before proceeding.
- Uninstall No Man’s Sky: Begin by uninstalling the game from your computer. This can usually be done by accessing the Control Panel and selecting “Uninstall a program”. Locate No Man’s Sky in the list of installed programs and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Delete remaining files: After uninstalling the game, navigate to the installation directory of No Man’s Sky (usually located in the “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)” folder). Delete any remaining game files or folders to ensure a clean installation.
- Download and install: Visit the official No Man’s Sky website or your preferred gaming platform (Steam, GOG, etc.) to download the latest version of the game. Follow the on-screen instructions to install No Man’s Sky on your computer.
- Update the game: Once the game is installed, check for any available updates. This can usually be done through the game launcher or by accessing the settings within the game. Updating No Man’s Sky will ensure that you have the latest bug fixes and patches.
- Launch and configure: After reinstalling and updating the game, launch No Man’s Sky. Take the time to configure your game settings and preferences, such as graphics, audio, and controls. If you had previously backed up any important files, you can restore them now.
- Start a new game: With No Man’s Sky reinstalled and configured, you are now ready to start a new game. Enjoy exploring the vast universe, discovering new planets, and embarking on exciting adventures!
If you are still experiencing issues after reinstalling No Man’s Sky, it may be worth reaching out to the game’s support team for further assistance.
Applying Patches and Updates
Keeping your copy of No Man’s Sky up to date with the latest patches and updates is essential for a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience. Hello Games, the developer behind No Man’s Sky, frequently releases updates that address bugs, introduce new features, and improve overall performance.
To apply patches and updates to No Man’s Sky, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Steam client on your computer.
- Click on the “Library” tab at the top of the Steam window.
- Scroll through your list of games and locate No Man’s Sky.
- Right-click on No Man’s Sky and select “Properties” from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, navigate to the “Updates” tab.
- Ensure that the “Automatic updates” option is enabled.
- Select the desired update frequency from the drop-down menu. “Always keep this game up to date” is recommended for the latest patches.
- Click on the “Close” button to save your changes.
With these settings in place, Steam will automatically download and install updates for No Man’s Sky whenever they become available. It’s a good idea to check for updates manually from time to time, especially when you’re experiencing any issues with the game.
Additionally, when starting No Man’s Sky, keep an eye out for any prompt or notification about new updates. Hello Games occasionally releases significant updates that introduce new game mechanics, locations, and other exciting features. These updates might require a larger download and could take longer to install.
To summarize, applying patches and updates to No Man’s Sky is as simple as launching Steam, ensuring automatic updates are enabled, and periodically checking for updates manually. By staying up to date with the latest patches, you can enjoy the most stable and feature-rich version of No Man’s Sky.
Starting a New Game
If you want to start a new game in No Man’s Sky, follow the steps below:
- Launch the No Man’s Sky game on your gaming device.
- From the main menu, select “New Game” or “Start New Game”.
- Choose your game mode. No Man’s Sky offers different game modes, such as “Normal”, “Survival”, and “Creative”. Each mode provides a different gameplay experience, so choose the one that suits your preferences.
- Select a save slot to start a new game. If you already have save files, make sure to choose an empty slot to avoid overwriting your existing progress.
- Customize your character. You can choose your character’s appearance, including their gender, race, and outfit. Feel free to create a unique character that represents you in the vast universe of No Man’s Sky.
- Confirm your choices and start the new game. Once you’re satisfied with your character customization and selected game mode, proceed to initiate the new game.
After following these steps, you will be immersed in a new No Man’s Sky adventure, ready to explore the endless galaxies, discover unique planets, and unravel the mysteries of the universe.
Tips and Tricks for New Players
1. Explore Your Surroundings
As a new player, it’s important to take your time and explore the vast universe of No Man’s Sky. From planets teeming with life to barren landscapes, there is always something new to discover. Don’t be afraid to stray from the beaten path and embark on your own adventure.
2. Gather Resources
Resources are essential for survival in No Man’s Sky. To thrive, you’ll need to gather materials such as carbon, ferrite, and oxygen. These resources can be used to repair your equipment, craft new items, and even refuel your spaceship. Always keep an eye out for resource-rich areas during your travels.
3. Interact with the Alien Races
The universe of No Man’s Sky is populated by various alien races, each with their own language and culture. Take the time to interact with these races, learn their language, and trade with them. Building relationships with the aliens can lead to valuable resources, technology, and new missions.
4. Upgrade Your Equipment
Your suit, multitool, and spaceship can all be upgraded to improve your capabilities. Look out for upgrade modules and blueprint vendors that can enhance your equipment. These upgrades will make your journey easier and allow you to take on more challenging tasks.
5. Utilize the Scanner
The scanner is a useful tool that can help you find valuable resources, locate points of interest, and even reveal hidden items. Make sure to use your scanner regularly to uncover the secrets of each planet you visit.
6. Manage Your Inventory
Managing your inventory is crucial in No Man’s Sky. Make sure to regularly discard or sell unnecessary items to free up space for more valuable resources. Upgrade your inventory capacity whenever possible to carry more items during your travels.
7. Plan Your Journeys
Before embarking on a long journey, make sure to plan ahead. Stock up on essential resources, fuel up your spaceship, and gather information about the planets you’ll be visiting. This preparation will ensure a smoother and more productive journey.
8. Join the No Man’s Sky Community
The No Man’s Sky community is full of experienced players who can offer valuable advice and assistance. Join online forums, browse through guides and tutorials, and connect with other players. The community can enhance your gaming experience and provide valuable insights.
What are common reasons to restart No Man’s Sky?
There are several common reasons why players choose to restart No Man’s Sky. Some of them include wanting a fresh start in the game, experiencing game-breaking bugs or glitches, changing their playing style or focus, or simply wanting to explore different gameplay choices.
How can I restart No Man’s Sky?
To restart No Man’s Sky, you will need to delete your existing save files and start a new game. On PC, you can usually find the save files in the “Documents/My Games/No Man’s Sky” folder. On consoles, you may need to navigate to the game’s settings or storage menu to delete the save files.
What happens when I restart No Man’s Sky?
When you restart No Man’s Sky, all of your progress, including your discoveries, inventory, and base, will be erased. You will start completely fresh, with a new character and ship, on a new procedurally generated planet. This allows you to experience the game’s initial tutorial and early progression again.
Can I keep my progress if I restart No Man’s Sky?
No, unfortunately, if you choose to restart No Man’s Sky, you will lose all of your progress. This includes any resources, upgrades, or in-game currency you may have acquired. However, starting fresh can provide a new and exciting experience in the game.